Cascade Snowgeek's Snowpack Observations

This blog is a posting of the snow conditions that I have found. In no way is this to ensure safety or predict conditions. All that is promised or implied is the snow conditions of my test plot at the moment when observations were made.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Bullion Basin, Crystal Mountain 061202

I was very curious to get a look at the structure of the snowpack, since it has been an interesting week for Washington State weather, with heaps of snow and very cold weather. Since I was traveling alone, I was very cautious about which slopes I was willing to travel on, let alone to ski.
I chose to dig a pit in a less than ideal spot at 5370ft. It was closer to the trees than I would have liked but I did not want to stop in an avalanche chute and was hyper aware of the sun hitting the steeper slopes above me. The pit itself was a great learning experience for me and I made some errors.
It was the first Rutschblock test and the first Shovel Shear test of the season, both of which were done incorrectly. I will update that a little later in the week about how they were done and how they will be done in the future.
I found some nice hoar frost, which melted later in the day. Also, I found fairly cohesive snow bridging the weakness of the rain crust at 27 cm. In the upper layers there were a couple of failures with a RB4 at 112cm and 126cm, neither of which concerned me much and were stiffening up as the day went on.
I dug a hasty pit at 6400 ft with an E expose. It showed even stiffer snowpack at about 120 and less of a crust with greater cohesion. The sun was also further consolidating the surface snow. I skied this exposure all day without incident.
Perhaps most interestingly, at least 25 people passed within 5 meters of me doing my full observations, only three two stopped to ask me what I had found. This is a bit distressing. Thanks to Troy for helping my on my Rutschblock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Counter